Friday, July 17, 2009
Cottage Cheese
Sean Cullen had a radio show on CBC Radio One for the past couple summers and part of it was a feature called "Cottage Cheese", where he'd play cheesy music that people often tend to listen to in the summer - I guess while at the cottage or vacationing. I don't know if this is a particularly Canadian phenomenon but I can attest to it's existence. A couple of years ago I made a compilation for my sister's birthday that contains such gems as "Valerie" by Steve Winwood and "Paperlate" by Genesis. We both truly like these songs but in the absence of warm sunshine, a lake up north or a summer bbq, we probably wouldn't listen to them. Not having been brought up with the same summer vacation rituals as we were, our significant others often have to suffer through the "While You See A Chance" and "Invisible Touch" and get down right testy after more than a couple listens. I can't blame them. Sure, Madonna's "Holiday" will take me back to the mid 80's and I'm cool with that once and awhile, but on regular rotation I'd go nuts. We all don't share the same memories when we hear songs, but it's sometimes interesting to hear where songs take other people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment